Friday 15 February 2013

Post 3: Getting my head together

There's nothing to fear. Look no blood, no decay. Just a few stitches. And look, here's the final touch: the brain you stole, Fritz.
Henry Frankenstein




When I made my stop motion puppet a few years ago I used a polystyrine egg as the base of the head; I decided to go down the same path again this time. I won't be using marbles for eyes like I did last time, however; I bought some doll eyes online instead.




After a good deal of poking and carving I separated the main part of the jaw from the rest of the head, and also made a slot for the car. The jaw needed some sort of wire; at first I used some copper wire, but it turned out to be too heavy for the car's wheels to lift. Instead I used some of the grey plastic toy packaging wire I mentioned in the first post.




This jawbone had to be connected to the car wheels (now hear the word of the Lord!) and the most obvious way to do this was with superglue. However, as I said in the last post the car will have to be removed to be periodically recharged, so I'm hestitant to permenently attach anything to it in case that caused any problems when it came to disentangling everything. Instead, I made two plugs out of milliput which slot in between the spokes of the wheels and glued them to either end of the wire.




So far, it seems to be working - the main thing I need to figure out right now is how to keep the car in place (in the video above I used masking tape, but this is only a temporary measure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment